When it comes to creating compelling content, having the right set of writing tools is crucial. 2021 presents an array of innovative and efficient tools that can greatly enhance your writing workflow. From grammar and spelling checkers to plagiarism detectors and collaboration platforms, the options are vast. Notably, grammar and spelling checkers have become indispensable with their ability to instantly identify errors and suggest corrections, helping writers produce polished and error-free content. Additionally, plagiarism detectors ensure originality and integrity in written work by scanning for any signs of copied text. Lastly, collaboration platforms have gained popularity, allowing writers to seamlessly collaborate with others in real-time, editing and commenting on each other’s work. With these innovative tools, writers can elevate their writing to new heights in 2021.
Resources for All writers
Whether you are an aspiring novelist, a professional journalist, or simply someone who loves to write, having the right tools can greatly enhance your writing experience and productivity. In this article, we will explore some of the best writing tools for 2021 that can help you write more effectively and efficiently. From grammar and spell-checking software to distraction-free writing environments, these resources cater to the needs of all types of writers.
Grammarly is a must-have tool for any writer looking to improve their grammar and writing style. This AI-powered writing assistant helps you catch grammatical errors, punctuation mistakes, and offers suggestions to enhance your vocabulary and clarity. With its browser extension, Grammarly can be used across various platforms, including email clients, social media platforms, and content management systems.
2. Hemingway Editor
The Hemingway Editor is a fantastic tool for writers who want to improve the readability and clarity of their writing. It highlights complex sentences, excessive adverbs, and passive voice constructions, encouraging writers to simplify their prose. The Hemingway Editor also provides a readability score and suggests alternative phrasing for stronger impact, making it an excellent companion for professional writers.
Scrivener is a comprehensive writing software designed to support long-form writing projects, such as novels, screenplays, and research papers. It allows you to organize your ideas, research materials, and drafts in a single interface, making it easy to navigate and reference during the writing process. With its powerful outlining and editing features, Scrivener is a favorite among authors and journalists.
Evernote is a versatile note-taking app that can be a valuable tool for all types of writers. It allows you to capture and organize your thoughts, research materials, and even web clippings in one place. With its powerful search functionality and synchronization across devices, Evernote makes it easy to access your writing ideas and resources from anywhere, ensuring that you never lose a brilliant idea again.
5. Google Docs
Google Docs offers a free and collaborative writing environment that is accessible online. Its real-time collaboration feature allows multiple users to work on a document simultaneously, making it a great tool for co-writing and receiving feedback from colleagues or clients. With its cloud storage and automatic saving capabilities, Google Docs ensures that your work is safe and accessible from any device with an internet connection.
These are just a few of the best writing tools available for writers in 2021. From grammar assistance to organizing your work, these resources cater to the needs of all writers, regardless of their experience or genre. Each tool mentioned here can enhance your writing process and improve the quality of your work. So, give them a try and see how they can take your writing to the next level.
1. Grammar Checkers
Grammar checkers are an essential tool for any writer, especially for those who want to produce error-free content. These tools help to identify and correct grammar and punctuation mistakes, ensuring that your writing is clear and coherent. With the advancement in artificial intelligence, grammar checkers have become more sophisticated, offering comprehensive proofreading and editing features.
One popular grammar checker is Grammarly, which is known for its accuracy and user-friendly interface. It can be used as a browser extension or a standalone application and provides real-time suggestions for correcting typos, grammatical errors, and even suggesting alternative vocabulary choices. Grammarly also offers a premium version with advanced features such as plagiarism detection and writing style improvements.
Another notable grammar checker is ProWritingAid, which not only checks for grammar and spelling errors but also provides detailed reports on writing style and readability. It uses AI technology to analyze your writing and offers suggestions for improvement in areas such as sentence structure, word choice, and repetitive phrases.
These grammar checkers are valuable tools for writers, as they enhance the overall quality of writing and ensure error-free content. They act as virtual writing assistants, helping you catch mistakes that might have been overlooked otherwise. By utilizing these tools, writers can improve their writing skills and produce content that is polished and professional.
2. Plagiarism Checkers
Plagiarism, the act of using someone else’s work or ideas without proper acknowledgment, is a serious offense in the world of writing. To ensure your content is original and unique, it is essential to use plagiarism checkers. These tools compare your text against a database of published works and web pages to detect any potential similarities.
One of the best plagiarism checkers available is Grammarly. This popular writing tool not only helps to improve grammar and spelling but also provides a comprehensive plagiarism checker. Grammarly scans your text and highlights any passages that may be flagged as potential plagiarism. This makes it incredibly easy to ensure your work is original before submitting it.
Another reliable option is Copyscape. This online plagiarism checker allows you to enter a URL or upload a document, and it will search the web for any instances of similar content. It provides a detailed report that shows the percentage of originality and any potential matches found. Copyscape is widely used by professionals and educators to maintain integrity in their writing.
In addition to these tools, it is important to understand the concept of “fair use” and properly cite any sources that are used in your writing. Plagiarism checkers can assist in detecting similarities, but they cannot determine whether a piece of content is legally permissible under fair use guidelines. Familiarize yourself with the rules and guidelines surrounding fair use to ensure your writing is both original and legally compliant.
Overall, plagiarism checkers are essential writing tools in 2021. They allow writers to maintain authenticity, avoid accidental plagiarism, and uphold ethical standards in their work. By incorporating these tools into your writing process, you can rest assured that your content is original and free from any unintentional copying.
3. Distraction-Free Writing Apps
Distraction can hinder the writing process and prevent writers from reaching their full potential. Fortunately, there are several distraction-free writing apps available in 2021 that can help eliminate the temptation of checking social media or wandering off to other tasks. These apps provide a clean and minimalistic interface, focusing solely on the writing experience. Here are some of the best distraction-free writing tools to enhance productivity and focus:
iA Writer: Known for its simplicity and elegance, iA Writer offers a clutter-free writing environment. It provides a minimalistic interface with a pleasant typing experience, allowing you to fully concentrate on your writing. The app also supports Markdown, making it easy to format your text as you go.
Ulysses: Ulysses is a popular choice among writers due to its powerful features and beautiful design. It offers a distraction-free writing mode, customizable themes, and a seamless synchronization across multiple devices. With its advanced organization features, such as folders and keywords, Ulysses helps you keep track of your writing projects effortlessly.
FocusWriter: Designed to eliminate distractions, FocusWriter provides a full-screen writing environment with customizable themes and soothing background music options. It also includes a typewriter sound effect to simulate the nostalgic experience of writing on a traditional typewriter. FocusWriter allows you to set daily goals and track your progress, keeping you motivated and focused.
By utilizing distraction-free writing apps, writers can optimize their writing process and achieve higher levels of productivity and focus. These tools provide an ideal environment for clear thinking and creative expression, allowing writers to produce their best work. So take advantage of these writing apps in 2021 and watch your writing prowess soar!
4. Book Editing Tools
When it comes to writing a book, editing is a crucial part of the process. To help polish your manuscript and ensure it is free from errors, there are several book editing tools available. These tools can assist with grammar and spelling checks, style and consistency improvements, and even provide suggestions for rephrasing sentences to enhance readability.
One highly recommended book editing tool is Grammarly. This tool uses artificial intelligence algorithms to detect grammar and spelling mistakes, as well as offering suggestions for clearer and more concise writing. Grammarly also provides a plagiarism checker to ensure your work is original.
Another popular book editing tool is ProWritingAid. This software offers a comprehensive analysis of your writing style, grammar, and spelling, highlighting areas that can be improved. ProWritingAid also provides suggestions for enhancing sentence structure, eliminating repetitive words, and improving overall readability.
For writers who prefer a more collaborative editing experience, Google Docs is an excellent choice. With its real-time collaboration feature, multiple users can work on a document simultaneously. This makes it easy to share your work with an editor or beta readers to receive feedback and make necessary revisions.
In addition to these editing tools, it’s important to remember that human editors play a crucial role in the book editing process. While automated tools can catch many errors, a professional editor can provide a higher level of expertise and insight. They can ensure your writing meets industry standards, improve the flow of your narrative, and offer valuable suggestions for enhancing your story.
5. Story Writing Apps
Story writing apps are essential tools for aspiring authors and content creators. These apps provide a range of features that can help enhance creativity, improve organization, and streamline the writing process. Here are some of the best story writing apps to consider using in 2021:
Scrivener is a powerful app that offers a wide range of tools for writers. It allows you to organize your writing into sections or chapters, making it easy to navigate and edit your work. With its customizable interface, you can tailor the app to suit your specific writing needs. Scrivener also includes features like outlining, research organization, and a distraction-free composition mode, making it a highly versatile tool for authors.
Ulysses is a sleek and minimalistic writing app that focuses on simplicity and efficiency. It offers a clean writing environment free from distractions, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in your writing. Ulysses also includes powerful features such as markdown support, integrated research tools, and seamless synchronization across all your devices. Its intuitive interface and comprehensive writing tools make it an excellent choice for both beginners and experienced writers.
Evernote is not only a popular note-taking app but also a great tool for writers. With its ability to capture and organize ideas, research, and inspiration, it can help in the brainstorming and planning stages of your writing process. Evernote allows you to create notebooks, add images and audio recordings, and easily search and retrieve your notes. Its cross-platform compatibility and synchronization make it a convenient tool to have on both your computer and mobile devices.
Grammarly is an indispensable tool for writers looking to enhance their writing skills and improve the overall quality of their work. It is an AI-powered writing assistant that helps identify grammatical errors, punctuation mistakes, and offers suggestions for improvement. Grammarly not only catches basic errors but also provides insights into writing style, clarity, and tone. It can be used as a browser extension, a desktop app, or integrated into popular writing platforms like Microsoft Word and Google Docs.
ProWritingAid is a comprehensive writing tool that offers detailed writing analysis and suggestions for improvement. It helps you identify grammar mistakes, style issues, and offers clarity and engagement suggestions. Additionally, it provides insights into areas such as overused words, sentence length variation, and consistency in tone and style. ProWritingAid is available as a web-based tool, desktop app, and browser extension, making it a versatile companion for writers.
6. iOS Writing Apps
When it comes to writing on iOS devices, there are several excellent tools available that can enhance your writing process and productivity. Whether you’re a professional writer or someone who enjoys writing as a hobby, these iOS writing apps can help you organize your thoughts, improve your writing skills, and accomplish your writing goals. Let’s explore some of the best writing tools for iOS in 2021.
1. Scrivener (Paid)
Scrivener is a comprehensive writing app that is widely popular among writers of all genres. It offers a plethora of features that facilitate brainstorming, outlining, and drafting. Scrivener allows you to structure your writing project into manageable sections, making it easy to navigate and work on different parts of your document. Additionally, it provides tools for research organization, note-taking, and even supports writing scripts and screenplays. Although it comes with a price tag, Scrivener is often considered a worthwhile investment for serious writers.
2. Ulysses (Subscription)
Ulysses is a minimalist writing app that focuses on simplicity and distraction-free writing. It offers a sleek and intuitive interface that allows you to focus solely on your writing. Ulysses enhances productivity by providing a seamless experience across all your Apple devices through iCloud synchronization. It supports Markdown, a lightweight markup language that allows you to format your text without distractions. Ulysses also has a powerful organization system called “Sheets” that enables you to manage and rearrange your documents effortlessly.
3. Grammarly Keyboard (Free)
We all strive for error-free writing, and Grammarly Keyboard can be your best companion in achieving that. This iOS app integrates with your device’s keyboard and automatically checks your grammar, spelling, and punctuation as you type. It provides real-time suggestions and corrections, helping you to craft well-written and polished content. Grammarly Keyboard supports various writing contexts, be it emails, social media posts, or essay writing. While the basic grammar and spelling features are free, advanced features are available under a paid subscription.
4. Hemingway Editor (Paid)
If you want to improve the clarity and readability of your writing, Hemingway Editor is an ideal choice. This iOS app helps you identify complex and lengthy sentences, excessive adverbs, passive voice, and other writing issues. It highlights problematic areas in different colors, making it easy for you to identify where your writing needs improvement. Hemingway Editor also provides readability scores and suggestions for enhancing your writing style. By using this app, you can make your writing more concise, engaging, and accessible to a wider audience.
5. Bear (Freemium)
Bear is a versatile and beautifully designed writing app that offers a clean interface and a host of useful features. It allows you to write and organize your notes, articles, and even novels. Bear supports Markdown syntax and provides seamless synchronization across all your Apple devices using iCloud. It also offers powerful search and tagging features, making it convenient to find and retrieve your written content. While the core features of Bear are free, a premium subscription unlocks additional themes, exporting options, and other advanced functionalities.
7. Android Writing Apps
In today’s technologically advanced world, writing doesn’t have to be restricted to desktop computers or laptops. With the increasing popularity of smartphones and tablets, it’s easier than ever to write on the go. For Android users, there are several writing apps available that can enhance your productivity and creativity.
1. Google Docs: Google Docs is a widely used and highly versatile writing app. With its cloud-based storage, you can access your documents from any device with an internet connection. The collaborative features make it easy to work with others on shared projects, making it an excellent choice for writers working in teams.
2. Microsoft Word: Microsoft Word is a household name when it comes to writing tools, and their Android app is just as powerful. It offers a familiar interface and a wide range of formatting options, allowing you to create professional-looking documents on your Android device. The app also supports cloud storage, so you can seamlessly switch between your phone, tablet, and computer.
3. Evernote: Evernote is a versatile note-taking app that goes beyond just writing. It allows you to jot down ideas, create to-do lists, and capture inspiration on the go. The app’s powerful search capabilities and organization features make it a favorite among writers who want to keep all their research and notes in one place.
4. JotterPad: JotterPad is designed specifically for writers and offers a distraction-free writing experience. It provides a clean and minimalistic interface that helps keep you focused on your writing. The app also supports Markdown, a lightweight markup language that allows you to format your text without distractions.
5. Grammarly Keyboard: Good writing is not just about content but also about grammar and spelling. The Grammarly Keyboard app can be a helpful assistant in this regard. It provides real-time suggestions and corrections as you type, helping you improve your writing skills and avoid common mistakes.
6. Scrivener: Scrivener is a popular writing app that offers a powerful set of tools for both fiction and non-fiction writers. While the Android version of Scrivener is not as feature-rich as its desktop counterpart, it still provides a handy way to work on your projects while on the go. The app allows you to organize your research, outline your ideas, and even set word count targets.
7. Hemingway Editor: The Hemingway Editor app is designed to help you improve the readability of your writing. It highlights complex sentences, passive voice, and adverbs, making it easier to identify areas that need revision. This app can be a valuable tool for writers who want to enhance the clarity and conciseness of their writing.
8. Speech-To-Text Software
Speech-to-text software is a valuable tool for writers looking to increase productivity and efficiency in their writing process. This software allows you to dictate your thoughts and ideas, which are then transcribed into text format. It eliminates the need for manual typing and can significantly speed up your writing process. Whether you’re working on a novel, a blog post, or any other piece of writing, speech-to-text software can be a game-changer.
One of the best speech-to-text tools available is Dragon NaturallySpeaking. This software has been praised for its accuracy and ease of use. It uses advanced voice recognition technology to ensure accurate transcription of your speech. With Dragon NaturallySpeaking, you can dictate directly into word processing software like Microsoft Word, saving you time and effort.
Another popular option is Google Docs Voice Typing. This feature, available in Google Docs, allows you to speak your thoughts and ideas directly into your document. It supports over 100 languages and has a high level of accuracy. Additionally, Google Docs Voice Typing is completely free to use, making it an excellent choice for writers on a budget.
Using speech-to-text software can also be beneficial for individuals with physical disabilities or conditions that make typing difficult. It provides them with a means to express their ideas and engage in the writing process without the need for traditional keyboard input.
While speech-to-text software is highly advantageous, it’s worth noting that there may be some limitations. Accents, background noise, and speaking speed can sometimes affect the accuracy of transcription. It’s important to review and edit the transcribed text to ensure accuracy and clarity.
9. Book Writing Software
When it comes to writing a book, having the right tools can make all the difference. Book writing software provides a range of features specifically designed to support authors throughout the writing process. Whether you’re a seasoned novelist or an aspiring writer, investing in the best book writing software can greatly enhance your productivity and creativity.
One popular option is Scrivener, which offers a comprehensive suite of tools for organizing and writing your book. With its ability to handle large projects and its intuitive interface, Scrivener allows you to easily outline your story, create and manage characters, and rearrange sections with ease. It also offers a distraction-free writing mode, perfect for those moments when you need to focus and get into the writing flow.
Another top-notch book writing software is Microsoft Word. Although widely known for its word processing capabilities, Word also offers advanced features specifically tailored for book authors. These include the ability to easily format your manuscript according to industry standards, track changes and collaborate with editors, and create an automated table of contents. With its robust spell-check and grammar-check tools, Word ensures that your writing is polished and error-free.
For writers who prefer a more minimalist approach, Ulysses is an excellent choice. This writing software is known for its sleek and distraction-free interface, allowing you to focus solely on your writing. Ulysses also offers powerful organization features, such as the ability to create sheets and folders for easy structuring of your book. The software seamlessly syncs across multiple devices, allowing you to write wherever inspiration strikes.
If you’re looking for a free and open-source option, consider checking out LibreOffice Writer. This software is part of the larger LibreOffice suite and offers a range of features comparable to commercial word processors. With its clean and customizable interface, LibreOffice Writer provides a familiar writing environment with the added benefit of being highly customizable to fit your specific preferences. It also supports various file formats, making it easy to collaborate with others who may be using different software.
When selecting book writing software, it’s important to consider your specific needs and preferences. Whether you value organization, simplicity, or advanced features, there’s a tool out there that will suit your writing style. Additionally, many book writing software options offer free trials or money-back guarantees, allowing you to test them out and see which one works best for you before making a final decision.
10. Ergonomic Mice
When it comes to writing, it’s important to have a comfortable workspace to avoid strain and improve productivity. One tool that can greatly contribute to a comfortable writing experience is an ergonomic mouse. These mice are designed to provide better support for your hand and wrist, reducing the risk of developing conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome.
Using an ergonomic mouse allows you to maintain a more natural position for your hand, preventing unnecessary strain on your wrist. This can be especially beneficial for writers who spend long hours typing or editing their work.
Some popular ergonomic mouse options include the Logitech MX Vertical, Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse, and Anker Vertical Mouse. These mice often feature a vertical design that promotes a more natural handshake posture, minimizing the strain on your hand and wrist.
In addition to the ergonomic benefits, many of these mice also offer advanced features like customizable buttons and high-precision tracking. This can be particularly helpful for writers who need to navigate through large documents or switch between different applications quickly.
When choosing an ergonomic mouse, it’s important to consider factors like comfort, size, and connectivity options. Some mice also offer adjustable sensitivity settings, allowing you to customize the cursor speed based on your preference.
Aside from providing physical comfort, ergonomic mice can also contribute to a more efficient workflow. By minimizing the strain on your hand and wrist, you can focus more on your writing tasks and avoid distractions caused by discomfort or pain.
11. Ergonomic Keyboards
In the digital age, writing has become an integral part of our lives, whether it’s for work, school, or personal purposes. With the right tools, writing can be a smooth and enjoyable process. One tool that often goes overlooked is the keyboard. Typing for extended periods can put strain on our hands and wrists, leading to discomfort and potential health issues. That’s where ergonomic keyboards come in.
Ergonomic keyboards are designed to provide a more comfortable typing experience by allowing your hands and wrists to adopt a more natural position. These keyboards are often split into two halves, allowing each hand to be placed at a more comfortable angle. They also typically feature a curved or angled design, reducing strain on the wrists and promoting a more neutral posture.
One popular type of ergonomic keyboard is the mechanical keyboard, which uses individual switches for each key. This not only provides a satisfying tactile feedback but also reduces the amount of force required to press each key. This can be particularly beneficial for writers who spend long hours typing, as it reduces the risk of developing repetitive strain injuries.
When choosing an ergonomic keyboard, it’s important to consider factors such as key layout, key travel, and wrist support. Some keyboards offer adjustable tenting and wrist rests, allowing you to customize the angle and height to suit your individual needs. It’s also worth noting that some ergonomic keyboards are wireless, providing you with greater flexibility and freedom of movement.
Research has shown that using ergonomic keyboards can significantly reduce the risk of musculoskeletal disorders, such as carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis. A study published in the journal Human Factors found that participants who used ergonomic keyboards experienced less discomfort and strain in their hands, wrists, and forearms compared to those using traditional keyboards.
In addition to the ergonomic benefits, many of these keyboards also come with additional features that can enhance your writing experience. Some models offer programmable keys, allowing you to customize shortcuts or macros for frequently used phrases or commands. Backlit keys can be useful for those who like to write late at night or in dimly lit environments.
12. Writing Desks
Writing desks are an essential tool for any writer, providing a dedicated space for focused and productive work. Whether you prefer a traditional wooden desk or a modern, minimalist design, there are plenty of options to choose from in 2021. Here, we will explore some of the best writing desks available, taking into consideration factors such as functionality, style, and affordability.
1. Traditional Wooden Writing Desks
For those who appreciate classic elegance, a traditional wooden writing desk can be the perfect choice. These desks are often made from solid wood, such as oak or mahogany, and feature exquisite craftsmanship. They often include drawers and compartments for storage, allowing you to keep your writing essentials organized and easily accessible. Some popular options in this category include the Winsome Wood Writing Desk and the Sauder Shoal Creek Writing Desk.
2. Modern and Minimalist Writing Desks
If you prefer a sleek and contemporary design, modern writing desks are a great option. These desks typically feature clean lines, minimalist aesthetics, and often utilize materials such as glass, metal, or acrylic. The Walker Edison Dorian Urban Industrial Writing Desk and the Coavas Writing Computer Desk are both popular choices in this category, offering a stylish and functional workspace.
3. Standing Writing Desks
Research has shown that standing while working can have several health benefits, including improved productivity and reduced back pain. Standing writing desks allow you to alternate between sitting and standing positions, promoting a healthier and more dynamic work environment. The Flexispot Electric Standing Desk and the ApexDesk Vortex Series Adjustable Standing Desk are both highly regarded options in this category.
4. Folding and Portable Writing Desks
If you often find yourself working on the go or in limited spaces, a folding or portable writing desk can be a game-changer. These desks are lightweight and easy to transport, making them ideal for writers who frequently travel or have limited space at home. The Need Computer Desk Folding Table and the Coleshome Computer Desk are both excellent choices for their portability and practicality.
5. Adjustable Writing Desks
Having the ability to adjust the height and angle of your writing desk can greatly enhance your comfort and productivity. Adjustable writing desks allow you to customize the desk to your preferred position, ensuring that you maintain good posture and reduce strain on your body. The Seville Classics AIRLIFT Pro S3 Electric Height Adjustable Desk and the VariDesk Pro Plus Adjustable Standing Desk are among the top options in this category, providing versatility and flexibility for your writing needs.
Journaling is a powerful writing tool that can help you improve your writing skills, enhance your creativity, and organize your thoughts. It involves regularly writing down your thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a journal or diary. Journaling can be a valuable practice for both professional writers and individuals who simply want to improve their writing abilities. Here are a few key points about journaling:
1. Reflective Writing: Journaling allows you to engage in reflective writing, where you can explore your thoughts and emotions. This can help you gain insights into yourself and your writing process. By expressing your thoughts on paper, you can clarify your ideas and identify areas for improvement.
2. Personal Development: Journaling is not just about writing for an audience; it’s also an opportunity for personal growth. It allows you to document your personal experiences, track your progress, and set goals for yourself. By regularly journaling, you can develop a stronger sense of self-awareness and self-reflection.
3. Creative Outlet: Journaling can serve as a creative outlet where you can freely express your thoughts and ideas. It provides a safe space to experiment with different writing styles, brainstorm new concepts, and explore your creativity. This can be particularly useful for writers who are looking to break free from creative blocks or find inspiration.
4. Practice and Skill Development: Writing consistently in a journal helps you practice and refine your writing skills. It allows you to experiment with different writing techniques, develop a unique voice, and improve your ability to communicate effectively. Journaling also enhances your overall writing fluency and can help you become a more confident writer.
5. Organization and Structure: Journaling helps you organize your thoughts and ideas in a structured manner. By having a dedicated place for writing, you can keep track of your ideas, observations, and inspirations all in one place. This can be particularly helpful when you are working on multiple writing projects or when you need to reference previous thoughts or experiences.
Research has shown that journaling has numerous benefits, both for personal and professional growth. According to a study published in the Journal of Advancement in Medicine, expressive writing (such as journaling) can improve both physical and psychological well-being. Another study published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology found that expressive writing can enhance problem-solving skills and increase creativity.
To start journaling, set aside dedicated time each day or week to write in your journal. Find a quiet and comfortable space where you can focus and let your thoughts flow freely. You can use a physical journal or choose from a variety of digital journaling apps available on the market. It’s important to remember that there are no rules when it comes to journaling – it’s your personal space for self-expression and exploration.
14. Writing Pens
When it comes to writing tools, the classic writing pen still holds a special place in many writers’ hearts. While digital writing tools are becoming increasingly popular, there are still instances where using a pen and paper is preferred. In this section, we will explore some of the best writing pens available in 2021.
1. Pilot G2 Gel Ink Pens: These pens are known for their smooth gel ink and comfortable grip. They come in various colors and tip sizes, allowing writers to customize their writing experience. The Pilot G2 pens are reliable, long-lasting, and have become a favorite among many writers.
2. Uni-ball Jetstream Pens: The Uni-ball Jetstream pens are praised for their quick-drying ink and smooth writing experience. They offer excellent control and precision, making them a great choice for writers who prefer finer lines. These pens are also known for their durability and resistance to smudging.
3. Pentel EnerGel Pens: The Pentel EnerGel pens feature a blend of gel and liquid ink, resulting in a smooth and consistent writing experience. They are designed to provide quick-drying ink, preventing smearing and ensuring clean, crisp lines. These pens have a comfortable grip and are available in various tip sizes.
4. Fisher Space Pens: If you find yourself writing in unconventional environments or positions, the Fisher Space Pens are worth considering. These pens are specially designed to write in zero gravity, extreme temperatures, and even underwater. They use a pressurized ink cartridge, ensuring a steady flow of ink in any situation.
5. Sakura Pigma Micron Pens: The Sakura Pigma Micron pens are renowned for their archival-quality ink, making them ideal for artists and writers who require long-lasting, fade-resistant lines. These pens have a fine tip that allows for precise detailing and are available in various colors.
6. Muji Gel Ink Ballpoint Pens: Muji Gel Ink pens offer a smooth and consistent writing experience with minimal smudging. They are affordable, yet their quality is comparable to more expensive pens. These pens have a sleek and minimalist design, making them a favorite among those who appreciate simplicity.
7. Zebra Sarasa Clip Gel Pens: Zebra Sarasa Clip gel pens are known for their vibrant ink colors and smooth writing. The pens feature a sturdy clip that allows for easy attachment to notebooks and pockets, ensuring you always have your pen handy. They come in a wide range of colors and tip sizes to suit different writing styles.
15. Writing Utensils
Having the right writing utensils is essential for any writer, as they can greatly impact the quality and ease of your writing. Here are some of the best writing tools for 2021 that will help you bring your writing to the next level:
1. Pens: A good pen can make a significant difference in your writing experience. The Uni-ball Jetstream is highly recommended for its smooth ink flow and comfortable grip. Another excellent option is the Pilot G2, known for its vibrant colors and quick-drying ink.
2. Pencils: When it comes to pencils, the Palomino Blackwing is often regarded as one of the best. It offers a smooth writing experience and its replaceable eraser is a convenient feature. The Tombow Mono is also highly praised for its durability and high-quality graphite.
3. Mechanical pencils: If you prefer mechanical pencils, the Uni Kuru Toga is a top choice. It features an innovative rotating mechanism that ensures a consistently sharp point, reducing the chances of smudging or breaking the lead.
4. Highlighters: When it comes to highlighting important information in your writing, the Sharpie Accent Highlighters are a popular choice. They offer bold, vibrant colors and have a chisel tip for precise highlighting. The Zebra Mildliner is another great option, loved for its pastel colors and dual tips (chisel and fine).
5. Markers: If you need to make your writing stand out, the Staedtler Triplus Fineliner markers are highly recommended. They are known for their fine tips, vibrant colors, and long-lasting ink. The Copic Sketch markers are also a favorite among artists and designers for their high-quality ink and wide color range.
6. Gel pens: Gel pens provide a smooth and effortless writing experience, and the Sakura Gelly Roll pens are some of the best in the market. They come in various colors and offer a consistent and reliable flow of ink. The Pilot FriXion pens are also popular, as they are erasable, making them a great choice for those who prefer to have the option to correct mistakes.
7. Calligraphy pens: Calligraphy can add an elegant touch to your writing, and the Manuscript Calligraphy Set is a fantastic option for beginners. It includes multiple nib sizes and different ink colors, allowing you to experiment and create beautiful calligraphy. The Pilot Parallel Pen is another highly recommended option for its versatility and smooth writing experience.
Remember, the best writing utensils are subjective and vary based on personal preferences. It’s essential to find the tools that you enjoy using and feel comfortable with. Experiment with different brands and styles to find what works best for you and enhances your writing experience. Happy writing!
16. For Writing Projects
When it comes to tackling extensive writing projects, having the right tools can make all the difference. From organizing research materials to staying focused and productive, here are some of the best writing tools for 2021 that can help you successfully complete your writing projects.
Scrivener is a powerful writing software that offers a range of features specifically designed for writers working on long-form projects like novels, screenplays, or academic papers. Its easy-to-use interface allows you to outline, write, and organize your content in a flexible and intuitive manner. With features like split-screen mode, virtual index cards, and a research folder, Scrivener helps you stay organized and focused throughout your writing process.
2. Google Docs:
Google Docs is a widely popular cloud-based word processing application. It allows you to create, edit, and collaborate on documents in real-time, making it perfect for group projects or when working with editors. It also offers a range of formatting options, templates, and add-ons to enhance your writing experience. You can access your documents from any device with an internet connection, ensuring your work is always securely stored and easily accessible.
Grammarly is a comprehensive writing assistant that helps you improve your writing skills and ensure your content is error-free. It provides real-time grammar and spelling checks, as well as suggestions for enhancing readability, sentence structure, and vocabulary. Whether you’re writing an email, an article, or a research paper, Grammarly’s AI-powered features can help you elevate the quality of your writing by catching common mistakes and offering valuable suggestions.
4. Hemingway Editor:
Hemingway Editor is a web-based writing tool that helps you make your writing clear and concise. It highlights complex sentences, passive voice, and other readability issues, allowing you to simplify and streamline your content. Additionally, it provides a readability score and suggests alternative phrasing to enhance overall clarity. Hemingway Editor is a great tool for improving the readability and impact of your writing.
Evernote is a note-taking and organization tool that can be incredibly helpful for writers. You can capture ideas, research notes, and inspiration wherever you are and sync them across all your devices. With its powerful search feature, you can easily find and retrieve specific information when needed. Evernote also allows you to create notebooks, use tags, and attach files, making it a versatile tool for organizing your writing materials.
Trello is a project management tool that uses boards, lists, and cards to help you visually organize and track your writing projects. You can create boards for different projects, use lists to outline different stages of your writing process, and add cards to represent specific tasks or chapters. Trello’s intuitive interface and customizable features make it easy to stay organized, set deadlines, and collaborate with others.
Zotero is a reference management tool specifically designed for researchers and academic writers. It helps you collect, organize, and cite your research sources, saving you time and effort in the formatting process. With Zotero, you can easily create bibliographies and insert citations into your writing using popular citation styles. It also allows you to attach PDFs, images, and notes to your references, keeping all your research materials in one place.
Mindmaps are a powerful tool for writers to brainstorm ideas, organize thoughts, and plan their writing projects. They provide a visual representation of the connections between different ideas and can help writers break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. This is especially helpful when working on projects that require a structured approach, such as outlining a book or creating an in-depth article.
Using mindmaps, writers can create a central idea or topic in the center of the page and branch out to related subtopics and supporting details. This hierarchical structure enables a clear overview of the main points and their relationships, making it easier to identify any gaps or inconsistencies in the writing.
One popular mindmapping tool is MindMeister, which offers a user-friendly interface and collaborative features, allowing writers to share and collaborate on mindmaps with others. Another well-known tool is XMind, which provides various templates, styles, and layout options to customize mindmaps according to individual preferences.
Benefits of using mindmaps for writing:
1. Enhanced creativity: Mindmaps promote free-thinking and creativity by encouraging writers to explore various ideas and connections in a non-linear manner.
2. Improved organization: By visually representing the structure of a piece of writing, mindmaps help writers organize their thoughts, making it easier to create a coherent and well-structured piece.
3. Efficient planning: Mindmaps allow writers to outline their writing projects, identify key points, and plan the flow of their work, resulting in more efficient and focused writing.
4. Easy revisions: With a mindmap, it is easier to identify areas that need improvement or further development. Writers can easily rearrange, add, or remove ideas and subtopics as needed.
5. Collaboration: Mindmapping tools with collaboration features enable writers to work together with editors, co-authors, or clients, enhancing the creative process and ensuring a smooth workflow.
Research has shown that mindmaps can significantly improve learning and retention of information. According to a study published in the Journal of Experimental Education, students who used mindmaps as a learning tool performed better in recall and comprehension tasks compared to those who used conventional note-taking methods.
Note-taking is a crucial skill for writers as it helps to organize thoughts, jot down ideas, and keep track of important information. In today’s digital age, there are various writing tools that can aid in enhancing the note-taking process. These tools offer convenient features such as syncing across devices, searchable notes, and easy organization. Here are some of the best note-taking tools for writers in 2021:
1. Evernote: Evernote is a popular note-taking app that allows writers to create and organize notes, add attachments, and set reminders. It offers a user-friendly interface and seamless syncing across devices. With its powerful search capabilities and tagging system, finding and retrieving information becomes effortless.
2. Microsoft OneNote: OneNote is a versatile note-taking tool that provides a digital notebook-like experience for writers. It allows users to create multiple notebooks, organize notes into sections and pages, and collaborate with others in real-time. With its intuitive layout and integration with other Microsoft Office tools, it is a robust choice for writers.
3. Google Keep: Google Keep is a simple yet effective note-taking app that syncs with Google Drive. It offers a minimalist interface and features like color-coded labels, reminders, and voice notes. Writers can easily capture ideas on the go, access them from any device, and collaborate with others seamlessly.
4. Bear: Bear is a beautiful and flexible note-taking app exclusively available for Apple devices. It offers a distraction-free writing environment with advanced features like markup options, inline images, and cross-note linking. Its powerful organization options make it ideal for writers who prefer a minimalist yet productive approach.
5. Simplenote: As the name suggests, Simplenote is a straightforward and lightweight note-taking app that focuses on simplicity and speed. It offers a clean interface, easy tag organization, and seamless syncing across devices. With its support for Markdown formatting, writers can efficiently structure their notes and export them as needed.
6. Notion: Notion is more than just a note-taking tool; it is a complete productivity suite that allows writers to create documents, manage tasks, and collaborate with teams. Its versatile interface allows users to customize layouts and create databases, making it suitable for writers who like to have everything in one place.
19. Content Writing
Content writing is an essential skill for any writer in the digital age. Whether you’re creating blog posts, website copy, social media posts, or email newsletters, having the right tools can greatly enhance your productivity and deliver high-quality content. In this section, we will explore some of the best writing tools for 2021 that can assist you in creating engaging and impactful content.
1. Grammarly: Grammarly is a popular tool that helps writers improve their grammar, spelling, and punctuation. It automatically detects errors and provides suggestions for corrections, ensuring your content is error-free. Grammarly also offers advanced features like tone detection and clarity suggestions, making it a valuable writing companion.
2. Hemingway Editor: The Hemingway Editor is a web-based tool that helps writers simplify their sentences and improve readability. It highlights complex sentences, passive voice usage, and excessive use of adverbs, allowing you to make your writing clearer and more concise. With its color-coded suggestions, Hemingway Editor enables you to easily identify areas that need improvement.
3. CoSchedule Headline Analyzer: Crafting compelling headlines is crucial for grabbing readers’ attention. CoSchedule Headline Analyzer provides valuable insights on the effectiveness of your headlines. It analyzes factors like length, word choice, and emotional sentiment, and provides a headline score. By using this tool, you can optimize your headlines to increase click-through rates and engagement.
4. Evernote: Evernote is a versatile note-taking tool that allows you to capture ideas, research, and inspirations on the go. It syncs across devices, making it easy to access your notes from anywhere. Whether you’re brainstorming or organizing your research, Evernote’s user-friendly interface and powerful search capabilities make it a must-have tool for content writers.
5. Google Docs: Google Docs is a collaborative writing tool that offers many features beneficial for content writing. It allows multiple users to work together in real-time, making it ideal for team collaborations or receiving feedback from clients. With its cloud storage, you can also access your documents from any device, eliminating the need to carry files around.
6. Yoast SEO: If you’re writing content for websites or blogs, optimizing it for search engines is essential. Yoast SEO is a WordPress plugin that analyzes your content for readability and SEO-friendliness. It provides suggestions on improving key elements like meta descriptions, keyword usage, and internal linking, helping you rank higher in search engine results.
These are just a few of the best writing tools for 2021 that can significantly enhance your content creation process. By leveraging these tools, you can improve your writing skills, save time, and deliver engaging content that resonates with your audience. Experiment with different tools to find the ones that best suit your needs and style, and watch your writing thrive in the competitive digital landscape.
I Only Need Writing Software
If you are a writer looking for the best writing tools to enhance your productivity and creativity, there are plenty of options available in the market. Whether you are a professional writer, a student, or someone who enjoys writing as a hobby, having the right writing software can significantly improve your writing experience. In this article, we will explore some of the best writing tools for 2021, focusing on those that are specifically designed to meet the needs of writers.
1. Microsoft Word:
Microsoft Word has been a go-to writing software for decades, and it continues to be a popular choice among writers. With its user-friendly interface, extensive features, and compatibility with various platforms, Microsoft Word offers a versatile platform for writing, editing, formatting, and organizing your documents. Its spell and grammar check tools, along with its ability to track changes, make it an essential tool for any writer.
Scrivener is a favorite among many professional writers, especially those working on long-form projects like novels or screenplays. This writing software provides a comprehensive set of tools to help you plan, write, and revise your work. With features such as outlining, storyboard tools, and a virtual corkboard, Scrivener allows you to organize your ideas and research easily. It also offers a distraction-free mode, helping you stay focused on your writing.
For writers who desire to improve their grammar and ensure their writing is error-free, Grammarly is an indispensable tool. This powerful online writing assistant checks your writing for grammatical errors, punctuation mistakes, and spelling errors in real-time. It provides suggestions for corrections, and its AI-powered algorithm can even help improve your writing style. Grammarly is available as a browser extension, making it accessible across various platforms.
4. Hemingway Editor:
If you strive to make your writing clear and concise, the Hemingway Editor is an excellent tool to have in your arsenal. This online writing editor highlights lengthy and complex sentences, excessive use of adverbs, and passive voice constructions. By providing suggestions for simplifying and clarifying your writing, Hemingway Editor allows you to create more impactful and engaging content. It also provides a readability score, giving you insights into the readability level of your writing.
5. Google Docs:
For writers who collaborate with others or prefer cloud-based writing software, Google Docs is a reliable and convenient option. With its real-time collaboration feature, multiple users can work on the same document simultaneously, making it an excellent tool for co-authoring or receiving feedback from others. Google Docs also provides basic formatting options, easy sharing capabilities, and the ability to access and edit your documents across different devices.
Best Writing Tools: FAQs
As a writer, it can be challenging to find the right tools to enhance your writing process and improve your productivity. Thankfully, there are several writing tools available that can help you with various aspects of your writing journey. In this section, we will address some frequently asked questions about the best writing tools for 2021.
1. What are the essential writing tools for 2021?
When it comes to writing tools, there are a few essentials that every writer should consider using in 2021. These tools can help you streamline your writing process and enhance the overall quality of your work. Some of the best writing tools for 2021 include:
A. Grammarly: Grammarly is an AI-powered writing assistant that helps you eliminate grammar and spelling errors. It offers real-time suggestions to improve your writing, making it an indispensable tool for any writer.
B. Google Docs: Google Docs is a cloud-based word processing software that allows you to collaborate with others in real-time. It offers automatic saving, easy sharing features, and seamless integration with other Google services.
C. Scrivener: Scrivener is a comprehensive writing software that provides organizational tools, distraction-free writing mode, and a diverse range of features to assist you in structuring and editing your work effectively.
D. Hemingway Editor: Hemingway Editor is a tool that helps you simplify and clarify your writing. It highlights complex sentences, excessive adverbs, and passive voice, enabling you to make your work more readable.
These are just a few examples of the essential writing tools that can significantly improve your writing process in 2021.
2. Are there any free writing tools available?
Yes, there are several free writing tools available that can be beneficial for writers on a budget. While some free tools offer limited features, they can still help you in various aspects of your writing process. Here are a few noteworthy free writing tools:
A. Evernote: Evernote is a note-taking app that allows you to capture ideas, create to-do lists, and organize your writing materials in one place. It offers a free version with basic features, as well as a premium version with additional benefits.
B. Trello: Trello is a project management tool that can help you stay organized and manage your writing projects effectively. It offers a free version with features like task management, collaboration, and customization options.
C. Canva: Canva is a graphic design tool that enables you to create visually appealing graphics for your writing projects. It offers a free version with an extensive library of templates and easy-to-use design tools.
Please note that while free tools may have limitations, they can still be incredibly helpful for writers who are just starting or have budget constraints.
3. How can writing tools improve my productivity?
Writing tools can significantly improve your productivity by streamlining your writing process and helping you stay organized. These tools offer features like grammar and spell-check, distraction-free writing environments, project management capabilities, and collaborative capabilities. The automation and efficiency provided by these tools allow you to focus more on your writing and spend less time on tedious tasks.
Moreover, many writing tools make it easier to edit and revise your work by offering features like readability suggestions, style improvements, and even plagiarism checks. By having access to these tools, you can enhance the quality of your writing while saving time and effort.